Papaya leaf contains several vitamins and minerals which help in eliminating pain and reducing swellings. It assists in burning fat and also helps in increasing white blood cells (WBC) and platelet counts.
Benefits of Papaya Leaves
Papaya leaf juice is a juice extracted from the leaves of papaya plant. Majority are aware of the health benefits of eating papaya fruit. But recently papaya leaf extract has gained popularity due to its medicinal properties and it can provide relief against some deadly diseases like dengue fever and cancer.
With the rise in dengue fever, there has been an increasing need for a simple and inexpensive treatment and papaya leaf juice is the ultimate answer. Not only has it proven to be effective in fighting the symptoms of dengue fever but also in curing it. Apart from this, it also has anti-cancer properties as well as other health benefits
Since the papaya leaf juice is quite bitter in taste, it can be combined with other fruit juices for a more palatable taste. You can prepare papaya leaf juice at home by following the given steps.
- Take several medium sized papaya leaves which are washed and partly dried. Cut them and place them in a sauce pan with around 2 litres of water.
- Boil the water and leaves, and simmer without a lid until the water is reduced to half.
- Now strain the liquid and store it in glass containers. It can be refrigerated and stored for 3 to 4 days. But fresh juice is always preferable
- The juice should be discarded if it becomes cloudy.
- Alternatively, the juice can be squeezed by crushing the papaya leaves after removing the stems and other fibrous parts.
Although this juice is extremely beneficial, it should particularly be avoided by pregnant women as it may induce abortion. Moreover, it should not be consumed with any thyroid stimulators or Co-enzyme Q10.
Health Benefits of Papaya Leaf Juice:
As stated earlier, papaya leaf juice has proven to be effective in curing dengue fever. It offers a host of other health benefits. Some of the health benefits of papaya leaf juice are as follows.
- Dengue fever is a deadly disease caused by dengue virus transmitted by the Aedes mosquito. This disease can be fatal sometimes and is characterized by symptoms such as high fever with headache, severe muscle pain, joint pain, red rashes on the body that can cause itching and a drastic drop in platelet count. So far no specific medicine has been formulated for this disease. Painkillers like Aspirin and Ibuprofen also have their own side effects. Papaya leaf juice is a traditional method of curing dengue fever without posing any side effects. Scientific research and several case studies have indicated that papaya leaf juice contains the enzymes chymopapin and Papain that boost platelets, also known as thrombocytes and also relieve symptoms. Pharmaceutical companies are currently using papaya leaf extract preparations in the form of capsules and liquid formulas. Doctors recommend taking 20 to 25 ml of this juice twice a day for a week for quick results.
- Papaya leaf has been found to possess anti- malarial properties as well. Thus, papaya leaf juice is often used in some parts of the world as a prophylactic for preventing malaria in certain endemic regions.
- The greatest anti-cancer properties of papaya are concentrated in its leaf extract. According to a research conducted by the journal of Ethno-pharmacology, papaya leaf juice contains certain enzymes that have dramatic cancer fighting properties against a wide range of tumours such as cervix cancer, breast cancer, liver cancer, lung cancer and pancreatic cancer without any toxic effects on the body. As a result, papaya leaf extract is often recommended as part of chemotherapy in some parts of the world. By regulating the T-cells, papaya leaf extract increases the immune system’s response to cancer.
- Papaya leaves contain important nutrients such as vitamins A, B1, C and E, calories, protein, carbohydrates, calcium, phosphorus, iron and water. Papaya leaf juice has an important enzyme called Papain that aids in digestion by breaking down protein naturally.
- Papaya leaf juice contains over 50 active ingredients including the karpain compounds that inhibit microorganisms such as fungi, worms, parasites, bacteria as well as many forms of cancer cells. It is often used in herbal medicines to remove intestinal worms as it contains tannins that protect the intestine from re-infection from tanning proteins in the lining of the intestinal wall. This way the worms cannot attach themselves. Thus, they are effective in suppressing the cause of typhoid fever.
- Another amazing benefit of papaya leaf juice is its ability to fight viral infection such as the common cold virus. It is a natural way of regenerating white blood cells and platelets. Papaya leaves contain over 50 ingredients including the vitamins A, C and E that support the immune system.
- Fresh papaya leaves boiled with sliced pieces of orange aid in burning fat as papaya leaf juice is a perfect reducing agent.
- Papaya leaf juice is effective in relieving menstrual pain. For this purpose, take 1 papaya leaf, add tamarind and salt mix with a glass of water and boil. Drink this concoction after it has cooled for relief.
Skin Benefits of Papaya Leaf Juice:
Papaya fruit is great for your skin and is incorporated in several face packs and skin care products to give you a healthy and glowing skin. Apart from the fruit, papaya leaf juice is beneficial for the skin in the following ways.
- Papaya leaf juice has a higher content of vitamins A and C in comparison to the fruit, which promote skin health.
- Papaya leaf juice acts as a skin cleansing agent. This can be attributed to the presence of karpain compounds that inhibit microorganisms and other toxins, thus giving you a clear skin and providing protection against skin problems like pimples, freckles and blemishes.
- Juice of papaya leaves is effective in treating eczema. You can apply it on your affected areas after scrubbing.
- Fresh papaya leaf juice helps in healing open wounds and sores.
- The milky juice extracted from the tip of papaya leaves can soften the hardened skin or the corn/wart on the feet.
- Indigestion-Heartburn –Papaya Leaves are great for getting rid of invading bacteria that cause upset stomach problems because they contain karpain which kills bacteria. And it contains lots of Papain, protease enzyme, and amylase enzyme which help to breaks down proteins, carbs, and sooth the GI tract… and helps with acid reflux.
Papaya Leaves reduce inflammation of the stomach lining and heal gastric ulcers by killing H. pylori bacteria. And Papaya Leaf tea soothes away colon inflammation from IBS and other inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Break down Wheat Gluten –Papaya Leaf has the ability to break down wheat gluten making it easy to digest.
- Cancer –Papaya leaves have a milky sap that’s great for preventing and killing cancer cells because it contains acetogenin.
There are many studies including studies in Japan showing that Papaya Leaves are effective for curing cancer. And there are people who have cured their cancer by drinking Papaya Leaf Tea for extended periods of time.
The University of Florida has conducted studies showing that Papaya Leaves contain agents that kill cancer, especially cervix, prostate, liver, breast, and lung cancer. The more concentrated the tea the better the results… and there are no side effects of any kind.
Down through history in Australia the native aboriginal people have talked about Papaya Leaf Tea as a great cancer healing agent also in Asia and other places.
Most recommend taking 10 leaves, cutting them up and boiling them in half a gallon of water until it boils down to quart… afterwards let it cool. The tea will keep in the frig for 2 days in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
Papaya Leaf tea enhances chemotherapy… and helps with chemotherapy side effects.
- Prostate Enlargement –Papaya Leaf tea aids benign prostate enlargement and also help with rectal lesions problems associated with prostate enlargement.
- Acne Remedy –For acne treatment, take dried Papaya Leaves and put them in a blender with just enough water to make a paste. Then take the paste and used it as a mask, let it dry, and then wash it off… it works great for acne!
- Increase Platelet Count –Papaya Leaf Tea cures thrombocytopenia or low platelet count which keeps a person blood from clotting. There have been many studies showing that Papaya Leaf Tea can increase platelet counts in cases of vitamin deficiencies, chemotherapy, dengue fever and more.
- Menstrual Pain –Take 6 Papaya Leaves and boil them in a litre of water for 15 minutes. Then add any kind of juice that you like… let cool and drink one large glass 3 times a day.
- Laxative – Papaya Leaves made into a strong tea also work well as a good laxative… for those who suffer from constipation.
- Increase Appetite –Papaya Leaf tea increases appetite bringing vigour and vitality back to the body.
- Cataracts – Papaya Leaf tea can prevent cataracts.
- Emphysema – Papaya Leaves contain lots of Vitamin D which prevents emphysema.
- Immune Booster – Papaya Leaves contain lots of powerful antioxidants that boost your immune system and stave off cardiovascular disease, strokes, and cancer. Papaya Leaves create “Th1” a cytokines which boost the immune system and fights cancer.
- Anti-Aging – Papaya Leaf also contains 50 or more different amino acids such as: threonine, glutamate acid, glycine, valine, leucine, phenylalanine, lysine, tryptophan, cysteine, histidine, tyrosine, alanine, proline, aspartate, and more… and some of these agents are used in cosmetics for creating young healthy looking skin, and have been used as anti-aging compounds.
- Contains – Papaya Leaf contains lots of great nutrients such as Vitamin B for vitality and enhanced mood, Vitamins A and C which are powerful antioxidants, calcium and Vitamin D which are important for strong bones, Vitamin E which is important for sexual and cardiovascular health. Flavonoids that are powerful antioxidants that keep away cancer and cardiovascular disease, tannins boost the immune system and beta-carotene for immune enhancement and eye health.
Papaya Leaves – Pharmaceutical Applications
Papaya leaves are used in the curing of cancer and dengue fever. The University of Florida conducted studies showing that papaya leaves contain agents that kill cancer, especially cervix, prostate, liver, breast and lung cancer. Papaya leaves are crushed and juice is extracted from the same. This juice helps in curing dengue fever.